Sunday, December 5, 2010

We shouldn't teach great books, we should teach a love of reading

Oh, how I wish I could be in paradise... sitting on a long-chair in front of the beach under the palm trees catchin' some rays with a frozen margarita and some good tunes (since I'm on a smooth jazz kick right now, preferably tunes of this genre), a good book (that does not have to do with school), and good friends.

One of these days it will happen.

But until then, I'll manage with secluding myself with homework in the "G-area" of the sac, on Gallaudet campus, in Washington DC... well, for the next week and half or so then it's time to fly the 1,700 miles back home and be re-united with family! So excited! And especially excited for CHRISTMAS! I kind of wish that I could be going back home sooner so that I could join in on all of the fun festivities such as Carol of Lights, the play that Trinity puts on every year, driving around looking at Christmas lights... or I wish that I had time to actually get off-campus this next week and half and do some fun Christmas stuff.. but until then I guess I can wait until I can go home, prop up my singing Elmo stocking on the fireplace mantle, and annoy Barbara, David, and Phillip 24/7 with how many days, hours, and minutes until Santa comes! Christmas is obviously my favorite holiday.

Starting yesterday, I've taken up a new love for the smooth jazz genre on Pandora. So relaxing but yet keeps me focused on my work. This genre does not have songs where there are singers so I am not distracted by the words/singing and it is just merely background noise, beautiful background noise if I may add, that doesn't annoy me even after listening it hour after hour after hour. And yes, I am listening to it now as I type this.

I've finally decided to stay with English- I just can't help it, it is like a gorgeous guy with hint of mystery that I'm drawn to, only it can satisfy my passion. On two opposite sides is how I want it to apply to my life and future: the teaching of literature, the analyzation of literature in the most radical forms, and how language/reading is acquired in children, to spread the love and passion of reading. I had formerly decided to major in FCS (Family and Child Studies), after seeing that with the major I had in mind before that one, Secondary Education with a specialization in English, would take me another two-three years until I would be finished and with FCS, I would be done May 2012 and then would be able to focus on deaf education in graduate school. So, started the application, was in between step two and three out of the three steps. Tomorrow, was supposed to meet with the department of FCS for an "interview" but ever since I decided to give up education/english, and go for FCS I felt disappointed in myself, it was my intuition telling me all of it did not feel right but ignored it for a bit and then slowly realized more and more that my passion is English. Talked with one of my roommates who is an English major and she said, "Are you here for you or just to get a degree you are not happy with?" So, from there realized why people do major in areas such as English, or History, or Art even though it may not promise as bright of a future such as Education, or Engineering, or Architecture, because it is a passion inside. Mind you, this is all part of a 2:00 in the morning conversation. So the next day, in one of my English classes, the teacher passed around an envelope with cards and had us randomly pick one and turns out they were cards, papers, whatever, with random quotes and mine said:

"We shouldn't teach great books, we should teach a love of reading" - B.F. Skinner

A sign much? So from there said "That's it, that's what I'm doing, that's what I'm going for" Have already talked with the English department so I know what I need to do. I'm excited to get this show on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment